Skip to main content

Penns Manor Area School District Where Bright Futures Begin

Student Services » Special Education

Special Education

Does My Child Need Special Education?
Is your child having difficulty and need help?  Does your child need Special Education?  If you suspect that your child may have a disability and needs special education services, this page will walk you through the referral process.
Who should refer?
Any teacher, group of teachers/team or staff member with an appropriate concern about a student should refer the student for further evaluation.  Parents are encouraged to contact teachers, guidance counselors, building administrators, Special Education Supervisor if they suspect their child is having difficulty.
Which students should be referred?
Any regular education student who demonstrates a behavior or skill deficit that interferes with a student's academic progress may be referred.
What concerns are appropriate for referral?
Concerns should be ones that can be addressed during the school day.  In general, the behaviors and skills that are referred might include:
  • Attendance/Tardiness
  • Homework/classwork completion
  • Specific academic concerns or skill deficit (i.e. learning long division)
  • Classroom behavior that interferes with the student's learning.